Butternut Squash Pakoras Strike Gold Twice in London
- Best New Main Course/Meal Centre Product: JD Wetherspoon Beef & Pancetta Lasagne – KK Fine Foods Plc
- Best New Accompaniment Product: Spiced Apple Fruit Infusion Drink – Frecco Food & Beverage Ltd
- Best New Meat Free/Vegetarian Product: Gluten Free Cauliflower Gratin Tart – KK Fine Foods Plc
- Best New Bakery/Pastries Product: Iced Victorian Fruit Cake – Brakes
- Best New Multi-Portion Product: Café Rouge Ratatouille Bake – KK Fine Foods Plc
- Best New Ice Cream Product: Fruitfull Strawberry Juice Lollies – DiSotto Foods
- Best New Dessert/Confectionery Product: Barton & White Orange Liqueur Bread & Butter Pudding – Oliver James Foods
And the winner is: Butternut Squash Pakoras by The Authentic Food Company Ltd! Having earned Gold status in the Starter/Buffet/Appetizer Product category, the product later topped seven other Gold winners to take the grand prize at the British Frozen Food Federation (BFFF) Catering Awards competition. The event was a highlight of the BFFF’s Annual Gala Dinner Dance at the London Hilton on Park Lane.
“In a year when the founder of the Manchester-based, The Authentic Food Company, Kamal Basran, rightly was presented with an OBE from HRH The Prince of Wales for her services to business and charity, and Managing Director Nik Basran tied the knot, could things get any better? Well, yes, they could. They are also the proud winners of the prestigious Catering Product of the Year,” said Brian Young, chief executive the BFFA.
Butternut Squash Pakoras are made with butternut squash, onion, potato, gram flour, cinnamon and fennel. Positioned as a premium snack developed from an authentic Indian recipe, the sweet and spicy treat is served to Club and First Class passengers on British Airways flights.
“Lovely product!” Great tasting, great looking – lovely bite and good eat,” said one judge from the Craft Guild of Chefs.
Another judge commented: “Really nice flavor, well-seasoned, just the right level of spice. Eats really well.”
In addition to Butternut Squash Pakoras, other category winners competing for Catering Product of the Year recognition, were:
More than 800 guests were in attendance during the awards ceremony, which was sponsored by NewCold, a Zaltbommel, Netherlands-headquartered operator of refrigerated warehouses in France and Germany. It plans to open a new coldstore in the United Kingdom during February of 2015.