Spanish ice cream producer La Ibense Bornay was among the winners of 10 Gulfood Innovation Awards during the 23rd running of the annual international exhibition in Dubai. The dairy-free range made with olive oil took honors in the Frozen Food/Chilled Food category, as judges were impressed by its chocolate, almond and vanilla macadamia flavors.
Jerez de la, Cádez-based La Ibense Bornay, founded in 1892, exports a wide assortment of ice cream and sorbet products throughout the Middle East as well as to continental Europe and North America. The company pioneered the industrial-scale production and marketing of natural fruit shells such as oranges and lemons filled with ice cream and sorbet.
Elsewhere on the frozen front, another Gulfood Innovation 2018 Award winner was UAE-based Global Food Industries, which received Best Halal Food and Best Meat & Poultry Innovation accolades for it newly-launched Healthy Farm brand chicken burger and nugget products [see story at FrozenFoodsBiz.com website].
Prize winners outside of the frozen realm were:
- Best Baked or Confectionary: Temole Pomegranate Chips by Atlantic Foods Co. Ltd. (USA)
- Best Condiment or Sauce: Tangy Orange Marmalade infused with Indian Saffron by Mahbit Saffron (UK)
- Best Dairy Innovation: Cocoa Aloha by Maresi Austria (Austria)
- Best Health & Wellness Product: Hikian Raw Honey by Hikian Raw Honey (Finland)
- Best Hot Beverage: Quick Tea by The Fresh Food Company (Germany)
- Best Organic Product: Hunter Collection – Lizi’s Organic Granola by Hunter Foods Ltd. FZCO (UAE)
- Best Soft Beverage: Sparkling Coconut Water by Thai Coconut Public Company (Thailand)